UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
Join our Facebook Group Get job update & discuss about Job related Topics.
And we never give up.
For every child, Hope.
Under the supervision and guidance of the supervisor, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for executing a broad variety of routine tasks and some specialized for the respective section, requiring thorough knowledge of UNICEF administrative procedures, processes and policies.
How can you make a difference?
Budget Monitoring (specialized)
- Monitors budgets and financial expenditures of section, ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations, keeping supervisor informed and advised on actions for decision/follow up.
- Provides support on budget revision/preparation, implementation status, determination position of funding utilization, operational, and financial closure.
- Prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the budget monitoring of project/programme implementation.
- Carries out transactions in VISION pertaining to grants for his/her section such as registering grant allotments and tracking expiring programme grants.
Human Resources (specialized)
- Drafts vacancy announcements for positions within his/her office for review by supervisor to help attract ideal candidates.
- Ensures timely and efficient screening of applications for minimum eligibility, taking into account qualifications, competencies, and post requirements.
- Liaises with candidates in the various stages of the recruitment process.
- Coordinates the scheduling of interviews and technical assessments.
- Records and maintains recruitment files, ensuring all necessary documentation has been prepared.
- Monitors life-cycle of recruitment process to update supervisor as necessary.
Office Planning & Project Management (specialized)
- Ensures the availability of timely, complete and accurate information and data for preparing section work plans and project management plans.
- Undertakes basic research and performs comparative analysis of project/programme related data.
- Monitors project implementation against established milestones and makes recommendations to improve performance.
- Helps ensure timely compliance with agreed deadlines.
- Acts as focal point in the review of the completeness of data reports with key monitoring and evaluation information.
- Guides managers in the process of PCA/SSAs in line with the policies and guidance issued by FRG, supply division and DHR.
- Facilitates the processing of contracts for consultants and external partners that provide a service to the section. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, uploading TOR’s in VISION, and making necessary logistical arrangements.
- Maintains up-to-date vendor lists, partners, and consultant rosters.
Communications & Workflow
- Facilitates the communications and workflow of the organizational unit to enhance the efficiency and timeliness of operations and outputs.
- Manages incoming and outgoing correspondence, e-mails and telephone calls.
- Communicates routine and some non-routine information pertaining to the work of the team.
- Establishes and maintains the office filing and reference systems, both traditional and digital; and ensures the inter/intra-net websites are up to date and accurate.
- Maintains office calendar and arranges meetings.
- Takes minutes of meetings, ensuring accuracy, attention to detail and coherence.
- Supports capacity development activities and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts.
- Arranges times through liaising with participants over availability.
- Liaises with budget focal points and section over costs and needs.
- Prepares background materials for participants and uploads cleared materials on the intranet.
- Prepares and maintains agendas on meetings and events related to the work group commitments.
- Provides travel assistance to staff members in section for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization’s rules and policies. Liaises with relevant travel focal points to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Briefs/de-briefs staff members on issues relating to related administrative matters such as visas, security clearance, and documentation procedures.
- Extracts, inputs, maintains, and verifies correctness of travel records in the organization’s travel system to ensure accurate transactions related to travel costs and staff travel.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets on travel costs and maintain travel plan and budgetary control records.
- Monitors travel certification and report back to the team.
- Responsible for collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and, thereafter processing in VISION.
- Uploads electronic files and verifies results to destination system.
- Responds to client transaction status and other inquiries.
- Supports management of administrative supplies, office equipment, and updating inventory of items.
- Monitors and supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
- Arranges for the purchase and timely distribution of office supplies.
- Maintains and updates a system which monitors the absence of staff.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education is required, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the field of work.
- A minimum of 5 (five) years of relevant administrative or clerical work experience is required.
- Passing the GGST Exam (Global General Service Test) or UN ASAT in English is required.
- Non-US candidates must be in possession of an existing US G4 visa or be a US permanent resident/citizen.
- Fluency in English (verbal and written) is required. Knowledge of an additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is considered an asset.
- Training and experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other UNICEF software such as SharePoint; knowledge of integrated management information systems required.
- Thorough knowledge of UNICEF administrative policies and procedures.
- Organizational, planning and prioritizing skills and abilities.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with visitors.
- High sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment.
- Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural background.
- Ability to work in a team environment to achieve common goals and to provide guidance to more junior support staff.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are:
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (I)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (I)
- Analyzing (I)
- Learning and Researching (I)
- Planning and organizing (I)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (I)
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
* Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
Opening Date Wed Apr 03 2019 02:00:00 GMT+0600 (Bangladesh Standard Time) Eastern Daylight Time
Closing Date Wed Apr 17 2019 09:55:00 GMT+0600 (Bangladesh Standard Time)